background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Out of nowhere...

So I have heard absolutely nothing new from my agency lately on the adoption front - big shocker. I guess I should really be more patient - they did, after all, tell me that it would be some time for the dossier to be translated and process and the best thing I can do it to start to get things for the baby's room ready during this time. So, I've been trying to concentrate on that and enjoy the summer (or whatever season this is - its been a very weird summer!) but I still can't stop being antsy and ready for things to be progressing.

A few weeks ago I posted that a friend of a friend knew of a girl who is pregnant and might be looking to place her child for adoption, but nothing had been decided yet. This friend of a friend (FOF from now on - that's just too long to type!) let the girl's mother know that if she decided to pursue adoption for her baby she knew of someone who was interested in adopting and would provide a loving home, which just melted my heart because like I said, she's just a FOF and not someone I've known for a super long time. Anyway, after that conversation I got excited and nervous all at the same time - what do I do about Russian adoption? Do I drag my feet on paperwork and hope for the best? Plug along and say, "thanks, but no thanks, I have my plans already in motion?" I e-mailed back and forth a few times to the FOF but last I heard was a few weeks ago when I was informed that the mother and her daughter were meeting with the father of the baby and his parents (in case I didn't mention it, these are teenagers) and they would let me know. I dropped it and just continued in my quest for my Russian prince and left everything alone, although every once in a while I almost felt compelled to reach out and just check on the status. I didn't, but I was tempted...

Imagine my surprise when I received an e-mail this morning from the FOF that the girl and her mother ARE still considering adoption, but haven't made up their mind yet. Apparently the father of the baby left the girl for another girl (who is also pregnant by him) and now they don't know what to do. The mom of the girl was asking a bunch of questions about me such as how often do I go to church, would I be raising the baby Catholic, etc. The sad part of this story is that the girl has been in the hospital for the last week with complications, and the mom was letting the FOF know to pass along to me that there would be increased medical expenses due to this extra hospital stay, just in case I was still interested in adopting, if they chose to go that route.

I'm floored. I didn't expect this at all at this point and had pretty much just started planning out a trip (or three!) to Russia, hopefully at some point in the not-too-distant future. I'm not getting my hopes up - it would be nice, but this family really needs to make the decision that is best for them and their baby and my only response, outside of the fact that yes, I go to church and yes, I would raise my baby Catholic, was that if they still had questions and are interested in meeting me I would be open to that at any point in time. I'm also still trying to stay focused on Russia, although I'm starting to get the feeling that both options are going to open up at exactly the same time and I will truly have to make the hardest decision of my life.

Domestic princess (the girl here is pregnant with a girl) or Russian prince (I am almost guaranteed a little boy in Russia) - either way I don't care - whatever is meant to be... I'm just ready to be a mom. :)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh Teri! Thinking about you as this process continues. You will have your prince or princess and be the best mom! I can't wait!!!

xo

Teri said...

Thanks Kristin! It means so much to have everyone's support - I'd surely have gone crazy by now without it!!! :)