background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Finally in Russia!

So we are HERE - finally in St. Petersburg! Travel was long - we left O'Hare yesterday at 3:40 p.m. (I can back up here and say we were TO O'Hare at 1:00 p.m.!), and arrived in Frankfurt, Germany at 7 a.m. this morning (we lost 7 hours in transit), then hopped a "beep-beep" cart to whiz us from gate B26 to B47 for an 8:10 a.m. flight to St. Petersburg, which actually ended up leaving a tad late. I honestly couldn't even tell you what time we got to St. Petersburg because by that point I was tired, hot and sweaty, and grouchy, so glancing at the clock was last on my to-do list. We were met at the gate with a wheelchair for my mom, and literally whizzed through customs and immigration! Our bags were waiting for us by the time we got to baggage claim, and tipping the wheelchair guy (who doubled as our porter for our bags) ensured a speedy process, which was nice. My head was spinning so badly that I totally missed Svetlana, the agency rep who was there to pick us up!

We got a great tour of St. Petersburg on our way from the airport and I have to say it is an amazing city - absolutely beautiful and completely historic! We checked into the hotel, unpacked, and had dinner at the restaurant here since we are both too tired to venture out and about right now. Sleeping on the flight from Chicago to Frankfurt helped, but I'm completely slaphappy right now and having a hard time with the fact that I am ready to go to bed but it's only 11:23 a.m. back home (we are 8 hours ahead here, so I'm still ready for bed super duper early!).

Tomorrow is a big day - we head over to the Ministry of Education at 10 a.m. to officially receive my "referral," then depending on what time we are done there and whether or not RP is down to one nap a day or still taking two, we will head over to the orphanage to meet her - the moment we have been waiting for!!! Tuesday it looks like we might get to visit her TWO times, then Wednesday its off to my seven-doctor physical (which could take hours!), then, if there is enough time ANOTHER trip to the orphanage before heading over to the notary to sign the official paperwork.

Emotions are high right now - both my mom and I are crabby, sleep-deprived, elated, excited, nervous, and plum worn out, but this moment has been too long in coming! I'll keep everyone posted, and will be thinking pleasant thoughts tonight, for I have a feeling that for as long as we've waited for this time with her, it will all be over too quickly and I'll be back home waiting to do it all again!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I'm so happy for you. You're there! And you will meet your princess soon. Thinking happy thoughts...

xo