background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Celebrating one year home

Yes, I know I'm posting this early, but RP and I will be visiting her godparents out of town tomorrow, which is thoroughly exciting to me! A year ago at this time we were climbing into bed (keeping in mind that Moscow is 9 hours ahead of us!) and trying to get a few winks of sleep before a VERY long day of travel. As I recall I didn't sleep a wink, and therefore was up for over 24 hours before I stumbled into my house, and RP refused to sleep in her crib that night. Therefore, I laid in bed with her on my chest, where she woke up every half hour or so just to check if I was still there and pinch my cheeks like she was confirming for herself that I was really real.




So many "best laid plans" went by the wayside on the trek home. RP had her own seat paid for, but sat on my lap for all but about 20 minutes of the ENTIRE journey, and slept for maybe an hour of it. I really wanted to get pictures on the plane, at the airports, and coming through Customs and Immigration, but couldn't get to the camera, nor had the presence of mind to even try. RP fell asleep about 5 minutes after meeting Papa and being strapped into her car seat, and woke up when we got home, only to be greeted by two crazed puppies who literally were howling and jumping up and down to see us after I had been gone for two whole weeks.


I still vividly remember the "holy crap - NOW what" thoughts going through my mind when we walked in the door. The luggage sat in the kitchen for almost two whole days, and I scrambled to find something for RP to eat, since she barely ate anything on our flights and looked as if she was about to scream bloody murder at any moment. I remember finding oatmeal in the cabinet for her and feeding her, changing her, and putting her to bed, and then I barely remember anything else for the next week or so - it's all still such a blur!


Today I can't imagine life BEFORE RP came home. While it sounds cliche', I truly believe she has been in my heart since before I even saw her picture, or knew of her existence. The road to our becoming a family wasn't short, wasn't easy, and was full of detours, but in the end we are the family we were always meant to be. Never has a year been so full of change, nor has one gone by so quickly than this past one, and I wouldn't change a moment of it for the world.

Asleep in the car after a long journey home


First meal home - oatmeal! (and doesn't she look thrilled?!?)


Same outfit, bigger size - one year later (and all smiles!!!)


My little Russian princess

No comments: