background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Thursday, June 2, 2011

"You need to listen, Mommy..."

As you may or may not have picked up from previous posts, RP and I have had several recent discussions on "listening." A hearing test a few weeks ago at school confirmed that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the child's hearing, so when she doesn't do as I have asked of her (usually asked repeatedly, that is) I know it isn't because she can't hear me. It's because she is three and clearly has other things to do before fulfilling my request to stop dancing around and put on her jammies, stop playing with "that" toy and come to the table to eat a meal, or to leave the puppies alone because all three of them (RP and the two puppies that is!) are getting wild and out of control. While it's fun and often funny to watch her blossom into her own individual self, it is often frustrating to have to repeat a request again, and again, and again to get a result, and we therefore have had several discussions on what it means to "listen."

Tonight RP was in rare form. We got a late start leaving Nana and Papa's after I worked today because traffic was bad and I was hoping it would ease some if we waited an extra few minutes or so, which, before I knew it, had turned into probably an extra 30-45 minutes. When we got home RP was SO excited to help Mommy water the flowers in the front of the house with her little watering can, then we ran into my next door neighbor (no, not the loud and obnoxious one, the semi-crazy but overall very nice, and quiet, one on the other side) who talked and talked and talked, so it was very late before we came inside to make dinner. RP took almost 40 minutes to eat a small bowl of rice, some watermelon, and a slushie for dessert, and it was driving me crazy - mostly because the reason she took so long was because she was having too much fun at the table crossing her eyes so she could look at the end of her nose, and she was having even MORE fun with the fact that this sight grossed Mommy out. Completely. Ick!

I finally got RP up into the bath and then prayers said, story read, and tucked into bed for a good night's sleep. Despite RP yawning her way through the story, she fought the valiant fight to keep those big brown eyes open, and started making her usual evening requests, which she knows at this point are for naught, since we have talked (again ad nauseum) about the fact that when Mommy goes downstairs she isn't coming back up unless it's an emergency (this new "rule" was brought on after I spent one evening going up and down the stairs at least 10 times in a one hour time span - no more!!!):

" Mommy, I need more water."
" RP, you know that Mommy can't give you any more water. You had a full sippee cup which is meant to last all night long. If I give you more water you will wet through your nighttime diaper."
" Otay."

Five minutes later:
" Mommy, I have a boo-boo. Me need a nan-daid."
" RP, Mommy put a band-aid on the boo-boo on your thumb before story time. I asked you then if there were any more boo-boos and you told me no. You should be sleeping, so you shouldn't have been doing anything to get any more boo-boos, now should you have?"
" No, Mommy."

Three minutes later:
" Mommy, I need a 'nuggle."
(Ugh. This is the toughest one for me and she knows it.) "RP, Mommy gave you kisses and snuggles before she tucked you in, AND she gives you a snuggle and a kiss every night before she goes to bed. I love you very much, but Mommy cannot come up the stairs right now for a snuggle. I promise that I will give you another snuggle and kiss when I go to bed."
** crickets** No response. Then a weak little, "Otay Mommy."
(Yep, I feel like a complete jerk, and worthy of the "Worst Mommy in the World" title right about now.)

About a half hour after this exchange I headed upstairs to take a shower, and lo and behold found RP still awake in her bed. When she saw me she jumped down out of her bed, demanding her " 'nuggle," and of course I gladly complied. She snuggled into my shoulder for a full five minutes, letting me snuggle her and rock her gently while kissing her hair, which she loves. Finally she broke free of the snuggle, grabbed my face in her chubby little hands, and proceeded to tell me:

"Mommy, me needed a 'nuggle to tell you that I wuv you. I wuv you a wot, and I wanted a 'nuggle to tell you this. You need to yisten to me more Mommy - awright? Awright Mommy?" She then proceeded to kiss my cheek, throw her hands around my neck for one more giant hug, then wiggle away to climb up and snuggle back into bed. Wow.

Yes, RP I'm listening - and I "wuv" you "a wot" too. And no, next time she asks for a snuggle she will not be denied or put off for later. Point taken.

No comments: