background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Things that make you go, "Hmmm..."

Today was just a typical Wednesday - get up and let the puppies outside to go potty, get RP out of bed and started on her day, then hurry, hurry, hurry to make it to pre-school on time since every road between our house and the pre-school seems to be under summertime construction.

RP had a blast today at pre-school. All summer they are doing day camp activities, and every Wednesday in June is "Water Day" for her class, which is her favorite thing to do. I'm not exactly sure what "Water Day" entails, but what I do know is that every time I go to pick her up after "Water Day," she is the wettest child in the room (they change into bathing suits for water time, then back into their regular clothes for the rest of the day) and she is sporting the biggest grin. Her teacher also is laughing each time, telling me that while RP is the youngest and smallest child in the room, when they pull the bathing suits out for the kids my child practically dives over everyone else to get ready, is the first one out the door, and is the first one who is soaking wet from head to toe - literally. Hmmm... perhaps we should have started with swimming lessons for her and not gymnastics...

After pre-school I took RP to the bank where she had her first interaction with the change counter (which she loved), made her first deposit into her savings account (which I loved!), and got her first sucker from the teller (again, which she loved). After popping her into the van to enjoy her sucker and a brief ride home, she promptly fell asleep right after finishing the sucker, and was sleeping so soundly that she barely budged when I removed her "Minnie's" and replaced them with a pull-up since she still isn't quite potty-trained while she is sleeping. "Water Day" certainly wore her out, because she slept for almost two hours, which these days is almost unheard of for her.

After her nap I told RP that we could go outside and play and that I would set up her "big blue whale" sprinkler for her to play in, and with that I changed her back into the swimsuit that she had worn at school that day (which literally had just finished drying on the patio - what great timing!). Despite the fact that she told me that she only wanted to play in the sandbox, she got great use out of the swimsuit as she ran back and forth between the water and the sand. Hmmm... good thing I didn't listen to those protests about putting the swimsuit on.

RP has been doing really well with potty-training lately but had an "accident" today as we were heading outside to play. She told me that she pottied in her swimmie diaper (actually swimmie pull-up, but diaper is much easier to type, hence the reference to "diaper" throughout the rest of this story...) because she was just too busy getting her shoes on to go outside that she didn't feel she needed to go and sit on the potty. Needless to say Mommy wasn't too happy because I discovered that swimmie diapers don't really hold the same as regular pull-ups do and as such RP had to sit inside and wait an extra 10 minutes before heading outside to play. Nope - NOT a happy camper, but she sucked it up and waited (im)patiently for the 10 minutes to lapse, then ran outside like a crazy person.

The relevance of that last part of the story? After RP was soaked head to toe, and covered in sand, she told me she had to go potty. Hmmm... traipse all through the house in that condition? Mommy just cleaned up one mess, and is not feeling like cleaning up another, so I told her to just go ahead and wet the diaper. You would think this child won the lottery - her whole face lit up and she screamed "T'ank you Mommy!" as she patted my cheek and gave me a huge kiss. Now, between standing under the sprinkler for a long time and wetting in the diaper this diaper was now about hanging down to her knees and she was literally waddling through the backyard yelling, "Help me Mommy! Help me!" to the point I was in tears laughing. We had to find a secluded spot in the yard where I could pull her suit back and flip the diaper inside out, then right side in again. The relief on her face was priceless, as was the fact that every 20 minutes or so she told me she had to pee-pee in her diaper as she proceeded to squat in the middle of the yard, laughing the entire time. Considering the child has a bladder of steel and pretty much only sits on the potty 3-4 times a day, this was a lot of drama and fun for her but I'm 99.98% convinced that she wasn't doing anything but pretending - and having a lot of fun at that.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know - not the greatest mothering move I could have made, especially since she got in trouble for doing exactly the same thing earlier in the day, but I'm pretty sure that she isn't scarred for life because of it, and she had fun with the drama of it all. The look on her face when told she could go potty in the swimmie diaper was almost as priceless as the look on her face today when I set up the Cinderella tent that she got for her birthday (which I almost forgot that we had) and gave her the baking set for the sandbox that she got for her birthday (which I DID forget that we had - it was still sitting in the garage in the original bag!). Her squeals of delight and the "T'ANKS MOMMY!" screams made my day, probably more than the toys made hers. Hmmm.....

No comments: