background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Let the summertime fun begin!

It appears that FINALLY the weather has broken and we are headed straight for summer from winter weather. I'm not sure whatever happened to spring in the Midwest, but summer is my favorite season so I'll take it anytime I can get it. Considering that about a week ago I still had the HEAT on, and literally switched one day from heat to A/C the next, it's still hard to get used to.

I had to work today, so RP went to Nana and Papa's as usual. It hit a record high of 90 degrees here today, and tomorrow is looking like more of the same, so I brought RP's water table and bike to Nana and Papa's last night when I picked her up, and additionally bought them a cute little ladybug sprinkler for RP to use while she was there, since for some reason her swimming pool from last year seems to be missing. When I got to Nana and Papa's this afternoon, they were all sitting on the back patio and were laughing and having a good old time - with RP holding down court as usual.

I had to laugh last year when one of my friends called RP my "little Bohemian" because she spent almost every weekend in a bathing suit, and it looks like this year will be more of the same. She has a suit for school (water days are popular in the summer there, and it's just easier to have one for school than remembering to check the calendar as we're dashing out the door and packing a bag to bring!), a suit for Nana and Papa's, and two for home. True to form, she was decked out in her bathing suit, soaked from head to toe when I got to Nana and Papa's and she was in such a "playing outside" frenzy that I'm not sure she saw me at first! Apparently RP, Nana, and Papa had been playing outside in the 90 degree heat for at least 90 minutes before I got there, and RP was a flurry of activity - she rode her bike, ran through the sprinkler, played soccer with Papa, splashed in the water table, THEN splashed all over Nana and Papa, etc. etc. etc. Even after I got there, it took another 10 minutes to get her inside and dried off.

RP was being her normal, wiggly, silly little self while I was trying to get her dried and dressed, and in the spirit of being silly, she giggled at me, "I gonna GET you Mommy!" I laughed and said, "Oh really, RP? Oh really?" Then yes, she got me all right. She leaned over and BIT me on the cheek. Out of the blue, just bit me, then giggled and said, "I bite you Mommy."

As you have probably already guessed, Mommy was NOT as happy as RP was. She went through a play biting phase last year, and it has resurfaced again this year. Not sure what triggers it - school, boredom, change in season, whatever - but she knows, without a shred of doubt, that we don't bite. Ever. End of discussion. While it was a play bite and didn't hurt (although, I will say this time around it did pinch a bit - EEK!), she knows there is a zero tolerance on our house for biting, hitting, scratching, etc. (you get the idea), so I informed her that she had to head to the naughty corner. The drama that unfolded from that child was Oscar worthy at that point - lots of loud crying and carrying on, with "I torry Mommy, I torry..." over and over and over, but no real tears.

After about 2 minutes in the naughty corner I turned her around and asked if she knew why she was in the naughty corner. "I torry Mommy," was the response I received. I told her I appreciated that, and knew she was sorry, but I was asking why she was in the naughty corner, and now apologizing, in the first place. "I bited you," she replied. Yep, you did kiddo and you know we don't bite, but before I could even respond my little princess proceeded to then give me a dirty look, bring her own hand to her mouth, and bite her own thumb - hard - then gave me ANOTHER dirty look as if this now made things even.

You probably guessed that this earned her ANOTHER two minutes in the naughty corner. At the end of those two minutes she apologized again, gave me a hug and a kiss, and let me finish drying her off and get her dressed without another incident. She was happy, silly, and out and out cheeky with Nana and Papa as we left, and was trying to sing along to the radio in the car, when all of a sudden it became dead quiet in the backseat. I glanced in the mirror and the poor child, who had been so tired that she put her sunglasses on upside down, had literally passed out mid-lyric in her seat. It was 5:30 in the afternoon, and the poor kid was a goner.

Ahhh - let the summertime fun begin!

No comments: