background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Quite the weekend...

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but I'm really not sure how I managed to balance being a single mom AND working a full-time job before now - these past few weeks have been ridiculously busy, even with being unemployed!

This weekend FLEW by and I can hardly believe it's Sunday evening again. Then again, I'm having somewhat of a hard time keeping the days straight now that I don't count the hours until 4:15 p.m. on Friday, then dread the ticking of the clock on Sunday night, knowing what is coming at 5:15 a.m. on Monday. Yesterday my best friend (and RP's godmother) came into town for a brief visit which was AWESOME! Visits and catching up are always too short, but it's so nice to be able to visit face to face and do some catching up, and RP and I are going to do an official visit with her godparents in February, which gives us something to look forward to! Then yesterday afternoon we headed off to a birthday party for a good friend's two-year old. This was RP's first time meeting Miss M and with a room full of little kids running around and playing she was at first extremely shy and clingy to Mommy, but it didn't take long before she was diving in playing with everyone and making friends. SOOO cute to see, and we left promising to set up a play date for RP and Miss M sometime soon! :)

This morning RP was a little bit out of sorts, but nothing unusual for her, although I was a tad concerned when she kept complaining that she had a "big owie tummy" this morning... followed by 30 seconds of weird noises that sounded like the cat trying to cough up a hairball and a bit of puking (of course no where NEAR the bathroom... sigh). She seemed fine after that - no fever, ate a little bit, and ran around playing, singing, and dancing after we took showers - so I didn't think anything more about it. When I stopped to use the restroom and grab a quick bite to eat on the way to my brother's house today I noticed that RP was burning up in the backseat - face flushed, hot to the touch, and glassy-eyed - but when I asked her about it she told me it was too hot in the car for her and that she didn't have an owie on her tummy anymore. That being said, I got her some juice, turned the heat in the car WAY down (I'll admit I had it cranked in the back for her to make sure she stayed warm since I didn't have her coat on her for a two-hour car ride - thank god, or the kid would have spontaneously combust back there!), and by the time we got to our destination she had cooled off and seemed to be doing better. She played, ate dinner and a bit of birthday cake (in honor of her cousins' fourth birthdays!), and we were on our merry way home. Arriving at home I noticed she again was burning up (temp of 100.9) so I gave her some Pedialyte, Children's Advil, and put her in bed after reading a story and some serious snuggling. I'm hoping it's just a bug working itself out of her system and she'll be back to her normal self tomorrow, and with that I settled myself in to watch a bit of mindless TV before going to bed.

What I failed to notice is that a wad of gum I had wrapped in a wrapped and set on the table to be thrown away had fallen on the floor and was scooped up by Savannah. Tired as I was, I thought she was working on chewing through her new chew bone... until I saw the shredded wrapper and took a close look at her face and paws. Yep - pink bubble gum everywhere. Yes, I do mean everywhere. The good thing - you can Google "removing gum from a dog's fur" and get THOUSANDS of links/answers. The bad thing - the dog doesn't want to cooperate with the "pour vegetable oil on the gum, work through the fur, then rinse in the bathtub (or in my case, the kitchen sink)" solution which was GUARANTEED to work. It didn't - and now I have a wet, oily, bubblegummed dog who is trying to pull the gum out of her paws AND her older fur-brother who wants a piece of the gum action for himself. I know what I'll be doing first thing in the morning (well, providing I don't have a puking child to contend with)...

I may be unemployed, but I really still need that vacation...

No comments: