background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mother's Day, Yicker bugs, and big girl beds

Yes, I have been woefully remiss in updating my blog for a few weeks now, thanks in part to my new part-time seasonal job which is literally kicking my butt, and in part to Blogger being down for editing every time I have found time to log in. Sigh.

Mother's Day this year was a three-day event. RP's Nana had to head up to Mayo Clinic on Mother's Day for a week of tests, so we went out to dinner on Friday night with Nana, Papa, and RP. It was a nice, casual event and RP was very well-behaved which is always a benefit! Saturday I had to work all day so RP went to Nana and Papa's for the day and we exchanged gifts after I got off of work. RP surprised me with a lovely Yankee Candle which smells oh-so-yummy but makes me long for summer once and for all!

Sunday RP and I went to pick up some flowers and spent the day working in the yard. It was a gorgeous day outside and we literally spent hours digging up a new area for a flower garden and planting flowers and seeds for this summer. During the gardening process I discovered an entire ant colony forming in my "old" flower garden, so we had to make an extra trip to Menard's for ant killer, and RP then became my lookout for anything that crawled or moved - and she was QUITE effective!

After spending a day hunched over the flower gardens and lugging around dirt and flowers, I was exhausted and sore on Monday, but decided that RP was ready for the big bed to come out of the basement and into her room. I managed to haul a full-size mattress and box spring up two flights of stairs by myself and had it all put together by lunch time. I was really prepared for a "Wow" from RP, but apparently her recent stints sleeping in big beds (from vacation to crawling into bed with me in the morning to nap time at Nana and Papa's house) made this a semi-non-event for my munchkin, who only looked at her room torn up and threw her hands up in the air with a "Mommy, what are you DOING?" comment and look of confusion on her face. She warmed to the idea of napping in her new big bed and now LOVES it, although I'll say for the record that a bigger bed now allows for her to store more things in bed with her and daily I pull out multiple books, stuffed animals, dolls, and other items from the bed before I can make it in the morning!

RP went to school all day on Tuesday so I could work, and after school she and I went out for dinner - the Mother's Day dinner out that I was too tired and sweaty to have on Sunday, or even on Monday. Since RP had school on Wednesday, then again on Thursday (along with her spring school recital) we decided to stay at Nana and Papa's house on Wednesday night, so Tuesday night was spent packing up one adult, one child, and two dogs for a 12 hour stay. I think it took almost as long to pack us up as the amount of time we spent over there, but it helped tremendously Thursday morning when we got an extra 30 minutes of sleep!

RP and I spent Wednesday afternoon outside at Nana and Papa's house planting flowers for Nana. For some reason, RP has now become scared of everything that moves outside and every 39 seconds screamed "YICKER BUGS!" while pointing in the air and running through the yard screaming. I'm not entirely sure what a "yicker bug" is - we have ruled out ants, spiders, and bees at this point - but she saw them everywhere and screamed continuously for two days about them. This is the same child who now stands at the top of the doggie steps that lead up to my bed and throws herself off of them, screaming in delight, and who dives over other kids at pre-school to barrel head-first down the slide. She is afraid of nothing - well, except yicker bugs apparently...

All that having been said - what a great Mother's Day weekend it was, yicker bugs and all!

No comments: