background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ask a stupid question...

Well, the saying goes, "Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer." I tend to disagree.

RP is in full-on throes of three-dom and therefore at times seems to have an issue listening. I have been teasing her for weeks that I was going to get another hearing test done when lo and behold they had them done at pre-school last week and she passed. With flying colors. Clearly, the issue is not with her hearing me - it's in the listening to what I've said (or usual what I've told her to do or not do as the situation would have it).

Yesterday I asked RP no less than three times to do something - at this moment I can't remember what on earth it was - and she consistently tuned me out. This had been happening all day, with her either feigning that she didn't hear me, or with her dragging her feet to do what I asked. Last night before she went to bed I told her we had to have a big-girl talk, and I sat her on my lap, facing me.

I asked her if she was a good girl. She nodded her head vigorously that yes, she was indeed a good girl. I asked her if she knew what it meant to listen. Yep - she nodded again and even pulled on her ears to emphasize what this meant. I asked her if she thought that I thought she was a good girl, and if she knew how to listen. This question caused her to pause, but then she smiled and nodded again - yes, she was a good girl. I asked her how I KNEW she was being a good girl. At this question a confused look came over her face. She thought about it for a minute, then put her hands up in the air, looked me dead in the eye, and said: "Because I'm not in the naughty corner Mommy!"

I had meant for this to be a serious conversation regarding listening, behavior, etc. and so forth, but even I couldn't help laughing out loud at her logic. How could I argue - this was, in fact, true to an extent. Sometimes I talk to RP like she is much older than the three that she is, and for the most part this works for us. However, on days like yesterday, I realize my question, and expectation of her response, was just plain stupid - and her response was spot-on in putting my expectations back in check. So, sometimes when you ask a stupid question you get a really good answer. Or at least I did!

No comments: