background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Almost 18 months home!

Today was Open House at RP's pre-school, which brought me back to LAST year's Open House, which happened to fall on the 6-month anniversary of our arrival home. It's hard to believe that it has only been 18 months, and I was thrilled with the report of RP's pre-school teacher that she is doing very well in school, and even ahead of some of the other kids in her class in some areas.




I haven't posted pictures in a while, so I thought this would be a great time to do so (and yes, it's another one of those "then and now" moments - please bear with me here!).


This was taken on August 27, 2010 - RP had been home exactly six months and while we had found a comfortable routine, in hindsight I can say that we were still in a transitional state. RP was still getting comfortable, developing language skills, and learning to trust and love. You can see in the picture how serious she still looks, how apprehensive she still is. After 22 months in an orphanage she learned to be guarded and expect that the people around you wouldn't stick around forever, and I'm sure she expected nothing less here. The last 18 months certainly haven't been easy, but they have been worth every sacrifice, tear, and frustration, and I can say with absolute honesty that the joys have definitely outweighed any rough patches we hit.


This picture is from earlier today when we were getting ready to head to RP's Open House. It was hard to get her to stand still and STOP being silly for a few seconds so I could snap some pictures (okay, like 30 of them!). I am completely and totally biased, but when I look at the picture from today I see a child who is relaxed and confident not only in herself, but also in the fact that she is loved. It may sound cliche' that love can cure all, but I truly believe that it can work miracles. Today my daughter is almost a complete polar opposite of the child she was a year and a half ago. Would I love her any less if she wasn't? No. I loved her the minute I laid eyes on her, and I love her for who she is, whatever that may be. Today that happens to be a silly, energetic, inquisitive three-year old. What tomorrow holds is anyone's guess, but I'm looking forward to finding out!!!

No comments: