background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sage advice from a three year old

As RP is getting older, she is becoming more and more aware of how words and actions can impact how someone feels. Okay, so maybe Mommy is helping to drive this, but I have to say that she is a really good listener when it comes to talking about feelings, and today she proved HOW MUCH she has been listening. Today alone, RP "reminded" me of the following "rules:"

1.) While we were eating breakfast I had turned Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on and RP watched intently, even though she had seen the episode at least 50 times. There came a part when Donald Duck got angry about something and said, "Ohhhh phooey!" I laughed and said to RP, "Oh no, Donald is mad. We don't say 'Oh phooey,' do we?" RP very solemnly looked at me and replied, "No Mommy. That is naughty. We don't say, "F---" either." And yes, she said the word, the whole word.

2.) While changing RP's pull-up I remarked that her "diaper was stinky." RP laughed and said, "Mommy stinky!" No, this did NOT make me happy, so I reminded her that we do not say that people are stinky as it can hurt their feelings (clearly we've had this conversation before - I cannot WAIT for her to actually poop on the potty!). RP thought about it for a minute, then told me, "No Mommy, we don't say people are stinky and we don't say, 'Go away!' to them because it will hurt their feelings. We don't hit people. We don't bite. We need to be friends." Pretty much sums it up, don't you think?

3.) While getting ready for bed tonight I told RP that I loved her. She threw her arms around me and told me that she loved me too, then proceeded to ask me when I was going to bed. I let her know that I still had work to do around the house and that I would be going to bed much later than her. She looked sad for a minute then told me that I worked too hard, and that I needed to let her help me so I could go to bed too, because I went to bed entirely too late every night. Even I went, "Awwww...." at that one...

No comments: