background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

More transitions...

Two weeks ago I transitioned RP from her crib to a toddler bed. While she still seemed pretty content in the crib (and I was happy to have her confined so she couldn't get into anything or get hurt), she just seemed "ready" for a big girl bed. A friend of mine was kind enough to loan me hers, and within 10 minutes we had the toddler bed set up, crib mattress on it, and RP's entire face lit up as she realized this was all for her! She must have climbed in and out of that bed 100 times during the day, smiling, giggling, and throwing herself on the bed, as if to reaffirm that it really was hers.

For as much as she loved her new big girl bed, actually sleeping in it proved to be another story. She was TERRIFIED to move from it, and she cried and whimpered for over an hour that night before she finally drifted off to sleep, with Mommy in there rubbing her back and kneeling next to the bed to comfort her as she was truly scared of this new transition. The next morning she cried for me to come and get her out of bed, but perked up when she realized she could actually climb out on her own, and from then on she has LOVED her new bed.

We've had a few scary moments in the last few weeks with the new bed. About three nights in, she managed to slide through the bars of the rail and ended up on the floor, under her crib (which is still in there until Papa takes it apart to get it out of the room - I had NO idea that it wouldn't fit through the door!), where she woke up screaming. Two nights later I was awakened in the middle of the night to blood-curdling screams when she somehow managed to get her head stuck in the same railing, which prompted me to ask Papa to remove the safety rails entirely, as I couldn't handle the vision of her choking to death in the bed because she got stuck again but this time couldn't breathe - **shudder**

This past weekend I ordered new "official" toddler bedding for her new bed, and washed up the crib bedding to pack away. I won't lie - I cried when putting that bedding away. It's been six and a half months and she is already growing up way too quickly for me. While I did enjoy the fact that she let me sleep in until 8:30 - 8:45 a.m. this weekend (something I haven't done in MONTHS), I'd sacrifice the sleep for more time with her in this stage of life. She is a bundle of energy, with quite the emerging personality, and I'm trying to soak in and treasure every moment I can, as she is truly growing up way too quickly...

No comments: