background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Saturday, July 17, 2010

The terrible two's (and other random updates)

When I last posted we were getting ready for the 4th of July and I am happy to say that RP absolutely LOVED the fireworks! She "ooo'd" and "ahhh'd" over a lot of them, although, truth be told, she was so tired at that point that she pretty much remained motionless in my arms during most of the display!


We had our 6-month post-placement social worker visit and it seems to have gone well, although I'm not really sure what I should be expecting of those visits. I go crazy cleaning the house and making sure that RP is dressed cutely and refrains from ripping the bow from her hair until AFTER the social worker leaves, only for her to sit in my kitchen for about 20 minutes, ask me how things are going, take notes on what I tell her, and then leaves. Oh yeah, I also have to provide a dozen or so random photos of RP (alone and with family) to attach to the report - considering I've now taken almost 2000 photos of my little RP the pictures aren't a problem, I just don't get how this is different from the monthly reports I give to the agency, which also include photos. Hmmm...

It seems that after that visit from the social worker the terrible two's kicked into high gear. RP has become increasingly "sassy" (I say that based on tone, since much of what she is sassing about I still can't understand) and throws absolute fits when she doesn't get her way. The past three nights she has gone absolutely crazy at bedtime - screaming, crying, biting herself, hitting at me, shaking the bars of the crib, you name it - as she is insistent that she needs to sleep in Mommy's bed. We have never co-slept so I'm not sure where this is coming from, and I'm starting to wonder if this is a sign that she is ready to move into a big-girl bed. I can say that I am not ready for that move, as I like the security of her still being in the crib, especially with the tantrums that have occurred this week! While the bulk of her terrible "two-ness" has occurred at night, she has certainly been testing her boundaries during the day as well - sassiness, throwing toys or not listening to directions until I start the dreaded counting (she is usually pretty good about listening by the time I get to "2" but I'm already tired of doing it!), and most recently spitting at school and hitting another child because he had the car on the playground that she wanted to play with.

When she ISN'T in the throes of her terrible two's, RP is doing fantastically at home - she, for the most part, is a sweet little girl who loves to laugh, play outside (especially in the water!), and adores her Papa and puppies. While I am treasuring every moment of her being so little, I am more than ready for this "phase" to be over!!!

No comments: