background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Fall fun stuff!

I find that I am continuing to start my blog posts with the "I can't believe it's been so long since I've posted" statement, and this one is no exception.  I can blame being a busy, single mom with a full-time job and a pre-schooler with a more than full-time calendar, but the simple truth is that while yes that is true, I simply choose to use what time I have available either playing with her, or trying to find a moment or two to actually relax (no easy feat!).  The fall is whisking by us, and I can hardly believe they are calling for snow showers tonight, let alone the fact that Thanksgiving is only a week and a half away!

The fall was eventful, and more of the same is on tap for the remainder of the year.  Our yearly pumpkin patch visit with close friends was fantastic, although it was weird to go to the pumpkin patch when it was almost 80 degrees outside (can you say "unseasonably warm" that day???), and we actually visited a different pumpkin patch about a month later with different friends as well.  It seemed as if every weekend was booked with some event or activity, and this was in addition to RP's five days a week in Pre-K, ice skating, gymnastics, and ballet lessons!  She tires me out, and I am thankful for an uber-supportive family who assists me with RPs comings and goings - I don't know what I would do without them!

Two big decisions have also manifested themselves during this time frame.  First, our housing situation.  Being laid off for over 8 months, then taking a job which cut my salary almost in half, has pushed me to the point that I am now working on trying to secure approval for a short sale of my home.  I should have done this a LONG time ago, but stubborn pride prevented me from taking this course of action, and I am now left with no other real choice.  Many tears have been shed over this decision, but I know in the end it is the best decision for myself and my daughter, and I am optimistic that this signals a new beginning for us.  Now, if I could just get the bank to stop dragging their feet and actually make a decision...

Second, my employment situation.  My current job definitely has the perk of being a "work from home" role which allows me some pretty great flexibility.  The downside?  I spent about 2-4 hours a day in the car commuting to my job as I need to be in my centers each and every day.  I have been looking and trying to find something new over the last few months, and this search continues stronger than ever as we head into the winter months - I REALLY don't want to have a repeat of last year when it took me 5.5 hours to get home in a snowstorm!  I know in finding something new I most likely will be giving up a lot of the flexibility and autonomy that I have in my current role, but I need to find something more stable (and hopefully providing more income!), and I am willing to accept that trade-off for the RIGHT role.

Heading into Thanksgiving, I can't help but reflect on what I am most thankful for, and at the risk of sounding redundant, here is just a sampling:

- I am thankful for my family.  They have been there for me, comforted me, and kicked me in the a$$ when the need arose.  Without them I would be lost, and without them I would not be the person I am today.

- I am thankful for my daughter.  She makes me laugh, she drives me crazy, and she has shown me that there truly is no limit to the amount of love you can give to another human being, nor is there a limit to the amount of love you can receive.  She teaches me something new every day, and she makes me proud to be her mama!

- I am thankful for my friends.  I don't tell them often enough, and I know I don't show it, but my friends have shown me that you don't need to be family to show love.  Like my family they have shown me support, compassion, and kicked me in the a$$ when I needed it (are you sensing a theme here???) and I love them all to death.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea.  Headed into the holidays I am going to try to post more and get back to keeping this blog up-to-date, as I know one day I'm going to kick myself for not keeping better records of RPs life before she is all grown up!

No comments: