background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Friday, February 24, 2012

Our second "Gotcha Day!"

I can hardly believe it has been two years since I packed my suitcase for the last time in St. Petersburg and headed to Baby Home #1, also for the last time. Two years ago today I walked through the doors of that Baby Home with my arms full of clothes for RP, and less than 5 minutes later a scared, squirming little girl was thrust in my arms, and we were on our way to the airport where we would catch a flight to Moscow.

Where has the time gone? I honestly didn't know what to expect when I walked through those doors, proudly carrying my little girl on that cold February day. Although the courts had deemed it so 10 days earlier, I was officially a "Mommy" on that day... and scared to death. What did I know about raising a child? Was this the right thing to do for her? For me? How would she handle the flight to Moscow, and a mere three days later, to the United States?

RP did pretty well on the flight - well, the first half of it anyway. Then she screamed - and boy did she have lungs! I held on tightly, trying everything I could to calm her down and comfort her, but nothing worked. She hated being confined to anything - a seat, a room, anything (as we would soon learn at the hotel) - and was only content when she was walking around. She LOVED to walk, and actually still does, and walking the halls of the hotel was the only way to keep her from crying.

I remember landing in Moscow and calling the driver to come and pick us up. The orphanage had told me that RP had been running a fever the night before and seemed to have a "tummy ailment" so they gave me a blanket and a glass bottle with boiled water in it for her in case he tummy started to hurt again, and these two items have become treasured keepsakes for me, as they are the only two items we have of hers from her life in the orphanage. Turns out I would need BOTH of these items as RP became overheated on our very long trek to the hotel from the airport and proceeded to puke all over the driver's brand new, blinged-out Lincoln Navigator! Yes, this also means she puked all over herself and all over me, so thank goodness for Tide travel which allowed me to wash everything in the tub at the hotel once we finally arrived!

RP's big day ended with a bath, during which she sat in the tub, staring at me with big, blank eyes, as if wondering what else was possibly going to happen to her. It was clear she was scared out of her mind, and she almost refused to blink as she stared at everything going on around her. She went rigid during hugs and kisses, and seemed almost relieved to be placed in her crib for the night, sucking her thumb and rubbing the sheets between her fingers. It was only then that I cried - cried, and prayed to God for the little girl in the crib who was terrified, and didn't realize all the love that was around her.

Fast forward to today. RP is a smart, happy, and healthy little girl. She gives and receives affection willingly and knows that she is the center of the universe to a family who loves and adores her. She is active, going to preschool two days a week, and taking gymnastics, ballet, and as of tomorrow, ice skating lessons, and she makes friends easily. These are the days I dreamed of when I was going through the process of adopting her, and if I had to do it all over again I would in a heartbeat, as these have been the best two years of my life!

Happy Gotcha Day my little Russian Princess!

No comments: