background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Sunday, November 27, 2011

The holidays are upon us???

I can hardly believe that Halloween has been here and gone, let alone Thanksgiving. This year, like so many others, I have so much to be thankful for, and Thanksgiving is a great time to reflect on all of our many blessings. Thanksgiving also holds a special place in my heart because two years ago my Mom and I left the Saturday after Thanksgiving to go to Russia and meet RP for the first time. Naturally, every Thanksgiving I remember this, and am oh-so thankful that everything worked out and I am officially her Mommy (yes, even on the days that she has tested my patience to the limits!).

I have been blessed not only with a wonderful daughter, but an amazing family and phenomenal friends. This year truly has been a test, and one of considerable change. After being unexpectedly laid off for eight and a half months, I moved into a new job, one which for the most part I enjoy, although the commute is already wearing on me. To take the job, I had to take a considerable pay cut, and find myself re-evaluating everything from where I live, to the car I drive, to my future career plans. Adding to the challenge of the year, both my Mom and my best friend have experienced health challenges, and I feel helpless standing by and watching as the two women closest to me in this life show courage and strength as they fight to regain their health, and (at the risk of sounding dramatic), their lives.

Yes, there have been the positives as well. RP continues to be the light of my life, and is thriving at home and at school. Yes, she can be a handful at times, but I wouldn't have her any other way. I am an aunt again to a niece, so my parents now are grandparents to three boys and three girls, and I can't wait to hold Baby A and get in some serious auntie-baby snuggles! I would also be woefully remiss in identifying the positives if I didn't add in the latest addition to my menagerie - RP's kitten "Baby Chloe" whom she adores, and who keeps the puppies and Cassie on their toes (literally!). Finally, the love and support I received the entire year from family and friends was truly overwhelming, and really helped to keep me focused and moving forward, despite many days of just wanting to hide under the covers and never come out!

As the year draws to a close and we get ready to celebrate Christmas, I hope everyone takes time to reflect on the year - the good and the bad - and takes time to celebrate with those dearest to you. I certainly can never truly put into words how thankful I am for my family and friends, and can never pay back everything they have given me, but this holiday season I am committed to letting each and every one of them know how special they are to me, and how much they mean to both RP and I. Isn't that what the holidays are all about???

1 comment:

Kristin said...

So glad you and RP are doing well! Hope your mom and friend are doing better. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.