background

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Playing "catch-up"

As you may have expected things have been pretty hectic around here and as such I find myself playing "catch up" on this blog. To catch you up from where the "story" last left off:

February 26: Headed to Red Square for a photo op with the couple that I met from Houston and our daughters before heading to the US Embassy to receive our final FINAL paperwork before leaving - hooray!!! RP did well in the van and even in Red Square, but was really wary of everything going on around her. At the Embassy she was on the verge of a meltdown when I grabbed a hair clip off my purse and started playing with it with her and it was the first time I ever heard her giggle - music to my ears! After the Embassy we headed back to the hotel for a fitful night sleep (she slept a bit, I didn't), then it was up at 3 a.m. on the 27th to catch our flight home.

February 27: Spent 18 hours traveling on two airplanes from Moscow to Zurich, then Zurich to Chicago. RP did NOT do well on the Moscow to Zurich flight - after sleeping for the first hour she proceeded to scream and throw a MAJOR tantrum for the rest of the flight - yes, my child was "that kid" on the plane. By the time we landed I was a frazzled mess until one of the VERY sweet flight attendants asked me "why" and reminded me that I never have to see any of these passengers again, so not to worry about it. Our 10-hour flight from Zurich to Chicago actually landed 40 minutes early, and RP did much better on that flight. She did have her moments but for the most part seemed more comfortable with me and her surroundings and actually was able to play and interact with me instead of just scream. Regardless, I was never SO glad to get back to land AND to get back home. Ahh....

February 28: Our first full day home was quite a challenge. RP was VERY uncomfortable and spent the entire day either throwing temper tantrums or recovering from them (aka - sleeping). Her body clock was completely on Moscow time and therefore she laid down for a nap at 1:00 and I had to wake her up at 7 p.m. on the advice of the social worker at my agency's help desk. NEVER wake a sleeping baby if you can help it - she made life miserable for both of us for next 48 hours after this!!!

We've had our challenges and we've had our good times, as I imagine all parents/children do. We've gotten into a schedule/rhythm at this time and although she STILL wants to fight nap time and going to bed at night, all in all things seem to be getting better day by day. I see her cute little crooked grin and hear her giggle more and more frequently, and that makes MY heart smile!!!

No comments: